Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Prodigal Son

Good evening to all (or whatever time of day it is). I apologize for the very long delay. I'm sure Dad is shaking his head right now, confident that he was correct in wondering if this blog would turn out like all the other ideas. I appreciate Eric's passion and fortitude in maintaining this blog. Granted, he ignored all my pleas and requests, but interestingly, his template choice was also my original choice. However, the download was corrupted, or just faulty; I couldn't get it to work. That's when I settled on the parchment template. My biggest complaint about the parchment template was the size of the font headings on my gadgets (archives, authorial, other links). So I would like to poll the family as to what they prefer. Over the past few days, I've been searching for my ultimate template, but to no avail. I'm looking for a template in the form of a book, considering the title of the blog is Family Chronicle. I have found one that is fairly close, and may upload it for you all to peruse. Anyway, for those who do read this blog regularly (total 6 perhaps?) what would you prefer? Please enter your preference as a comment to this post. At the end of the week, we can take action, or take no action.....

10 comments:

Dad Jones said...

I think your idea of the template in the form of a book sounds good. The blog sometimes takes quite a while to load on my computer. It is waiting, I think, for the slideshow to be fully loaded. There are few pictures now, relatively speaking. I wonder if this will be a problem as many more pictures are added.

Unknown said...

I'll bet you're right, Pa. Maybe we should dump it....

Eric and Alana said...

Hmm...I really like the book idea...maybe I should design it myself. That way we would have a really nice layout. Tell me exactly what you are thinking tom and I will do the graphics and scripting myself. I think it is worth putting some effort into making it a good, well put-together blog, seeing as we will be using it for years to come.

Ill start working with it tonight and create a basic book-like layout then fine tune it with yours and others suggestions.

Eric and Alana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric and Alana said...

Eric and Alana said...
See what I am doing at http://ericjonestest.blogspot.com

So far I have taken this (http://btemplates.com/2008/05/26/made-in-spain/) template and worked with it. I found a picture of an old book, I took the words off of it, then stretched and sewed it to fit in the layout.

I have much more work to do, however it is quite close to fitting together already. It might turn out.

Note: The wood and the yellow tabs were already there, I did not put them there.

Unknown said...

I'm envisioning an open antique book, with tainted pages, like an old bible:
http://www.absolutvision.com/AbsolutVisionV2/gallery/objects/art,_culture_&_religion/image/2B9004.php?back_url=sub,2

http://www.fotosearch.com/BDX299/bxp134521/

Perhaps with a title bar with the following graphic: vhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Book_collection.jpg

The notebook is a start (layout that is), but I want a real antique kind of feel, much like the humanists of yesteryear:

http://www.historyguide.org/images/aquinas.jpg

Unknown said...

Hey! Quit deleting comments and posts people! T'aint nothing with heated words and controversy...

Eric and Alana said...

I spelled something wrong and couldn't figure out how to edit...

Eric and Alana said...

Ok, I have a very decent start now. Take a look again.

ericjonestest.blogspot.com

I think it looks pretty antique. I made the left side small though...Ill see what I can do about that tomorrow.

What do you think though? are we headed in the right direction?

Unknown said...

Eric, it looks pretty good so far, but you need to make it symmetrical as you already suggested.
Looking good though. We can talk about fonts and colors after it up and running....